Oops, I deleted AZUREADSSOACC – What now – How to fix

Accidents happen, we are only human and sometimes we accidently delete something that we shouldnt have. In most cases its no big deal, we can restore wlEmoticon-thumbsup.png. When it comes to Active Directory, it actually can be an issue. AD restores can be a nightmare (in my humble oppinion, anyways).

On a quick sidenote, enable AD recycle Bin, it can really save you some time.

Open Active Directory Administrative Center



After enabling it, you can’t disable it (but why would you?)

BUT, in this case we “act” like, we havent enabled it wlEmoticon-smile.png

So somebody accidently deleted the AZUREADSSOACC computer account . This is the “virtual” computer account, used with Azure AADConnect when you enable SSO. (You can read more about it in a previous articel HERE.

Normally its placed In the Computers container2019-10-08_11h12_28

But, in this case we deleted it ( And just to prove to you, that I’m not cheating smiley disappointed)


It’s gonewlEmoticon-sleepysmile.png


First you need to log on the computer on which you have AADConnect running.

Right click, and choose run as Admin (If you have UAC enabled, click yes wlEmoticon-smile.png ) on the “Azure AD Connect” icon, placed, must likly on your desktop (Thats default)



Click “Configure”


Choose “Change user sign-in”, and click next. Logon with your Office 365 Global Admin account


Remove the option for “Enable single sign-on” and click next


And then, Configure


Now, if the next screenshot is what you get, you are got to gowlEmoticon-thumbsup.png. If it comes with a warning, saying something like “Single sign-on could not be disabled”, have no fear, it did for me when I did some test the first time. Run the wizard to the end, wait 5-10 min. and try again. You should end up with it being succesfully disabled.


Status: For now, we have diabled SSO. Now we need to enable it again, because its an awesome feature and we really want it……

Run the Wizard again (As an admin), and make sure you set the tick (or what ever you call it) in “Enable single sign-on”


Click next – In the “Enter credentials” box, you need to provide your local Domain Admin


Click OK, and next


Click “Configure” and let the wizard do its magicwlEmoticon-confusedsmile.png


Dont be alarmed, if it throws an error, it did for me a couple of times, just hit retry.


Yay…success… and look, AZUREADSSOACC is back where it belongs in AD wlEmoticon-openmouthedsmile.png2019-10-08_11h39_57

Give it time to run a sync (or force one with PowerShell Start-ADSyncSyncCycle -PolicyType Delta ), but eventually it will sync back up, and work like it did before.

Happy Clouding wlEmoticon-smile.png


AADConnect password sync error

So, long time since the last post. Its been a long an very hot summer, and things are starting to turn back to Business as usual Confused smile.

I started up my lap environment, after a good long vacation, and wow and behold…. AADConnect errors Sleepy smile I needed the lab for some testing…. Oh well, time for an article then.

After booting up, and some time to sync, this messages appeared in the O365 portal



Disappointed smile….. Didn’t make much sense to me… “Last synced 31 minutes ago”, but “warning no recent synchronization” ???

Didn’t spend to much time investigating, figured it had something to do with the whole environment being shutdown for a month, so went straight to try and fix it…My thoughts where, that trying to disable, do a sync and then re-enable password sync, would be a good place to start.

Here we go Open-mouthed smile

Started the AADConnect wizard


Choose “Configure”, and then “Change user sign-in”


So, log on with your Tenant global admin cred’s


Set the option to “Do not configure”




And then “Configure”. Just to make sure it actually was synchronizing, I ran the PowerShell sync cmdlet

Start-ADSyncSyncCycle -PolicyType delta

After it was successful (Had to run it a couple of times, since the reconfiguration of AADConnect, initiates a Complete sync, which takes some time) I reconfigured AADConnect to again allow password hash sync.


Enter your O365 tenant credentials if prompted!



After id was done, I waited a good 5 minutes for the initial sync, and then ran the PowerShell cmdlet again

And the waiting game started. It can take some time for O365 to realize that you actually did something, so after about 15 minutes everything looked fine again.



Pretty easy fix Smile